If you’re looking for a new and exciting recipe to try out, then look no further than pork pibil! This traditional Mexican dish is bursting with flavor and is surprisingly easy to make. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what makes pork pibil so special, and we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make it at home. So let’s get started!
What is Pork Pibil?
Pork pibil is a dish that originates from the Yucatan region of Mexico. It is made by marinating pork in a mixture of spices, citrus juices, and achiote paste, which gives the dish its distinct reddish-orange color. The pork is then wrapped in banana leaves and slow-cooked until it is tender and flavorful. Pork pibil is typically served with rice, beans, and tortillas, and is often garnished with sliced onions, cilantro, and lime wedges.
To make pork pibil, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons of achiote paste
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 banana leaves, cut into 2-foot sections
1. In a large bowl, mix together the achiote paste, orange juice, lime juice, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. 2. Add the pork to the bowl and toss to coat it with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight. 3. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. 4. Lay out the banana leaves on a flat surface and place the bay leaves in the center of each leaf. 5. Divide the pork and marinade into 2 equal portions and place each portion on top of the bay leaves. 6. Fold the banana leaves around the pork to create a packet, and tie the packet closed with kitchen twine. 7. Place the packets in a baking dish and bake for 3-4 hours, or until the pork is tender and fully cooked. 8. Remove the pork from the banana leaves and transfer it to a serving platter. 9. Garnish the pork with sliced onions, cilantro, and lime wedges. 10. Serve the pork with rice, beans, and tortillas.
- If you can’t find banana leaves, you can use foil instead.
- If you want to add some extra heat to the dish, you can add a diced jalapeno pepper to the marinade.
- Make sure to remove any excess fat from the pork before marinating it.
- If you’re short on time, you can marinate the pork for as little as 1 hour, although the longer you marinate it, the more flavorful it will be.
Pork pibil is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is sure to impress your friends and family. With just a few simple ingredients and some patience, you can create a meal that is bursting with flavor and color. So why not give it a try and see for yourself how delicious pork pibil can be?