The History Behind Pork Pies
Pork pies have been a popular dish in Britain for centuries, and they are still a favorite today. The traditional pork pie consists of a savory pastry shell filled with a mixture of minced pork, spices, and jelly. Over time, chefs have experimented with different ingredients and techniques, resulting in a range of pork pie recipes.
Why Jamie Oliver’s Recipe Stands Out
Jamie Oliver, a renowned British chef, has created a pork pie recipe that is both delicious and easy to make. His recipe uses a combination of pork shoulder, bacon, and spices to create a mouth-watering filling. The pastry shell is made from a mixture of lard and flour, resulting in a flaky and buttery texture.
To make Jamie Oliver’s pork pie recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1.5kg pork shoulder, diced
- 250g smoked bacon, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the pastry shell:
- 450g plain flour
- 225g lard, chilled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pork shoulder, bacon, onion, garlic, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a large saucepan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry shell on a floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm.
- Line a 20cm pie dish with the pastry, leaving some overhang.
- Add the cooled pork mixture to the pie dish.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to create a lid for the pie.
- Place the lid on the pie and press the edges together to seal.
- Make a small hole in the center of the pastry lid to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
Tips for Making the Perfect Pork Pie
To ensure that your pork pie turns out perfectly, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Use a high-quality pork shoulder and bacon for the best flavor.
- Chill the lard before making the pastry shell to ensure a flaky texture.
- Allow the pork mixture to cool before adding it to the pastry shell to prevent the pastry from becoming soggy.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg before baking to create a golden brown crust.
Jamie Oliver’s pork pie recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make treat that is sure to impress your friends and family. With a combination of savory pork and flaky pastry, this dish is the perfect comfort food for any occasion. Follow the tips above to ensure that your pork pie turns out perfectly every time.