Casseroles are a perfect winter dish that makes your soul warm and cozy. The delicious aroma of casseroles fills the air, and you can’t resist yourself from having a bowl. Pork and apple casserole is an excellent combination of sweet and savory flavors. This dish is perfect for a family dinner or get-together. Here is a simple recipe for pork and apple casserole that you can try at home.
- 1 pound pork loin
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork and cook for 5 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Remove the pork from the skillet and place it in a casserole dish.
- Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the sliced apples and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and stir in the flour to create a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and apple cider, stirring constantly until well combined.
- Add the thyme, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Pour the sauce over the pork in the casserole dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the top is browned and bubbly.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
If you want to save time, you can use pre-sliced apples from the grocery store. You can also substitute chicken for pork if you prefer.
Make sure to brown the pork before placing it in the casserole dish. This will add extra flavor to the dish.
If you want a thicker sauce, you can add more flour to the roux.
Pork and apple casserole is a perfect winter comfort food that you can enjoy with your family. This dish is easy to prepare and requires only a few ingredients. The combination of sweet and savory flavors makes it unique and delicious. Try this recipe at home and enjoy the warmth and coziness of casseroles.