The History of the Recipe
The pork and prunes French recipe, also known as “Porc aux Pruneaux,” is a classic dish that has been enjoyed in France for centuries. This recipe originated in the southwest region of France, specifically in the area of Gascony. The dish was created as a way to use the abundant supply of prunes and pork in the region.
To make this delicious dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1/2 cup of prunes, pitted
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
The Cooking Process
To start, preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large oven-safe pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pork and cook until browned on all sides. Add the onion and garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Next, add the chicken broth, red wine, prunes, honey, Dijon mustard, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the pork is tender and fully cooked.
Once the pork is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Serve it hot with your favorite side dish, such as roasted potatoes or steamed vegetables. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips to make this dish even better:
- Use a good quality red wine for the recipe, such as a Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Make sure to remove the pits from the prunes before adding them to the pot.
- If you don’t have an oven-safe pot, you can transfer the contents of the pot to a baking dish before cooking in the oven.
- You can also make this recipe in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
The Final Verdict
In conclusion, the pork and prunes French recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a hearty meal for a family dinner or a special dish for a dinner party, this recipe won’t disappoint. So give it a try and enjoy the flavors of France in your own kitchen!